Apple's Free Upgrade to the Latest Operating System
In an announcement 3 days ago, Apple released its latest update, macOS 10.12, Sierra, being offered to Mac users free of charge.
My first question… why did they drop the ‘X’ component? Apple says the new naming convention brings it in line with their other operating systems, iOS, watchOS and tvOS. Previous versions of OS X had been named after big cats until the company turned to locations in California for recent releases.
My second question… what’s new? Instead of performing a complete overhaul of the operating system as one might expect with a complete name change, Apple is focusing on new functionality and features rather than performance. In particular, Sierra’s focus is on usability while allowing you to be more productive on the desktop, especially so if you use your Mac in conjunction with your Apple mobile devices. Below is a list of features included in Sierra.
Features of Sierra
- SIRI FOR MAC: Siri comes to Mac not only with the intelligent and helpful features we’ve come to know and love on our iPhones and iPads, but with all-new capabilities designed specifically for use on the desktop!
- MESSAGES: Messages app allows more usability within the app.
- TABS: Tabs are now available across Mac apps that support multiple windows.
- PICTURE IN PICTURE: so you can watch a video while working on other things.
- OPTIMIZED STORAGE: frees up space for you by moving much of it to the cloud.
- APPLE MUSIC: Apple Music in iTunes features enhanced usability.
- UNIVERSAL CLIPBOARD: Universal Clipboard allows you to copy content from an app on one Apple device and paste it into an app on a different Apple device. Also, upgrades to the iCloud Desktop and Documents now allow you to access files on your Desktop from iPhone and iPad.
- AUTO UNLOCK: Allows you to automatically log into your Mac when wearing your (authenticated) Apple Watch.
- APPLE PAY: Apple Pay on the web makes the online shopping experience in Safari more convenient and secure than ever.
- PHOTOS: Photos introduces Memories, which highlights favourite and forgotten moments in your photo libraries by automatically creating collections of occasions such as trips or parties by using advanced computer vision to identify faces, objects and scenes in your images so they can be searched by who and what is in them. There is also a new editing tool, Brilliance, to make photos look richer and more vibrant.
Downloading macOS Sierra
The download for the upgrade is absolutely free and available on Apple's website in the downloads section. Below is a list of Mac models that are compatible with macOS Sierra. Make sure to check out Sierra’s system requirements before downloading.
Posted: Friday, September 23rd, 1:00pm 3 years ago
- Mac Book(late 2009 and later)
- iMac (late 2009 and later)
- Mac BookAir (2010 and later)
- Mac BookPro (2010 and later)
- Mac mini (2010 and later)
- Mac Pro (2010 and later)